Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dreaming of Rainbows

For the past few weeks I had been trying to trouble shoot a rainbow grad on a long piece of cloth...I've read the tutorials, talked to other dye artists, but it was all so nebulous...most techniques I read about seem this way to me at first...I see the words on the page, but until I actually attempt it myself, it reads like gobbledygook...A language I was never particularly fond of anyway...
So I got my hands on a lovely natty wrap, a Bebina Natur. Wow. One word: Awesome. The only Bebina I had tried in the past was the purple honeycomb, and I didn't care for it. But this...I can't wait to show you some pics...

In the meantime, I can share the first rainbow I did. It was a Didymos Natty Silk Indio, version 1 (which I didn't realize until I started dyeing it, oops), slingified by Kalea Baby. I used Jacquard Acid Dyes on this particular wrap, on my stove top. It was quite an adventure. Not a perfect rainbow, but I was really pleased with my first attempt.
Some pics. I had forgotten to take pictures while applying the yellow, blue and green, but here you can see the results...
 Applying the red
 adding the purple

Wow...it almost resembles a rainbow... 




All in all, I love it! Again, its not perfect, at least, not to my perfectionist eye. But its amazing for my first attempt. Stay tuned for pics of the next rainbow on Bebina Natur...

1 comment: