Sunday, March 4, 2012

Swim Fish Swim, into Indigo waters swim...

Ah Indigo, how I love thee. Let me count the ways...No but seriously, I really love working with Indigo, I think it is my favorite dye at this point. A very sweet mama had contacted me a little while back inquiring about transforming her Tussah Silk Fish into an Indigo'd TSF. I had just finished working on a Natty linen and Natty silk indios, so I said sure why not, my vat was already ready...
Now my Indigo dye jobs are not solid or even like can be achieved with procion fiber reactive dyes. I prefer a mottled watercolor effect, which I achieve with multiple dips. I don't start with an intense vat, I start off light, and build color and layers over the course of a few days.
Here is TSF in its natty state...a perfect canvas for color.
 First bath...
 See the little fish?
 Second bath...
 Here you can see the steam rising...and the oxidation on the surface...Indigo is awesome.



 Hi fishies!

So after each layer, I emailed her with progress pictures. She was thrilled each time, but wanted the colors a little deeper, a little darker. After my vat has sat for a while, it needs to be refreshed. This consists of adding more "stuff" and bringing it up to a boil...
 Again you can see the steam rising, and the depth of color building...

So over the course of a few days, and many many rinses...I felt it was ready...I emailed her the pictures and waited...anxiously as I always do, for approval. 







She said she was thrilled!! and asked if it were possible for an action picture...Ya sure, we were about to have a playdate anyway! And for full disclosure, these are not my bewbs, giggle.



Tussah silk fish has swum off to its new home. It was a really fun dyeing adventure. And I'm thrilled with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment